1. How do I become an interpreter for Language Resource Center, Inc.?

    Fill out our online application. One of our HR associate will contact you upon approval of the application.

  2. What are the minimum certification and education requirements?

    At least a bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an American and/or foreign university is required. Demonstrated fluency in both American English and the paired language in both spoken and written forms is mandatory. Training or experience specific to the field of interpreting and/or translating preferred.

    In addition to this, all of our ASL contracts are required to have a valid RID, NAD or NIC certification.

  3. I meet the above mentioned criteria, but do not see any job openings in your company. Should I apply?

    Yes. Even though there is no job posting in the website, LRC is always looking for potential competent interpreters to increase the poll of interpreters due to the heavy demand. Please apply online to have your application considered.

  4. How many hours of work are interpreters guaranteed with Language Resource Center Inc.?

    If you are hired as an independent contractor to provide language services, there are no guaranteed hours. The amount of work received depends on qualifications, flexibility, education, skill, etc.

  5. What are the wages?

    Hourly rates range from $12.00 to a high of $50 depending on the education, training, experience and National accredited certification.

  6. What professional development is offered?

    LRC organizes various levels of professional trainings, workshops, conferences, and meetings. We encourage interpreters for national certification and support them to meet some of the pre-requisite of the interpreters.

  7. What levels of sign language classes are available?

    Generally the colleges offer classes ranging from beginning, intermediate to advanced levels; in addition, to courses related to the theory and practice of interpreting. Colleges may also offer adult or continuing education classes to become more proficient conversationally with children and adults.

  8. How can I become a sign language interpreter in North Carolina?

    After successful completion of the designed ASL College course, an interpreter must sit for national licensure. North Carolina recognizes national certifications from both the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf, and the National Association of the Deaf.

  9. What is the job market for interpreters? Is there going to be enough work in my area to earn a living?

    Because the demand for skilled interpreters far exceeds the number of qualified professionals, nationally certified interpreters are able to find work all over the United States. Credentialed interpreters are constantly in demand in medical, legal, business and educational settings in everyday life. I

    Interpreters may be on staff in these settings enjoying full benefits, or they may be privately contracted as a freelancer.

  10. Is travel involved?

    Oftentimes, yes. Interpreters can have one job or several jobs during the course of a day or week, and of course, they have to get there. Some interpreters enjoy conference work for the opportunity to travel to other cities or other countries.

  11. How would I handle taxes?

    Interpreters pay taxes according to whether they are employed on staff or self-employed (or both). We’ll leave these details to you and a tax consultant!

  12. What job satisfaction would I find in the work?

    One of the most satisfying aspects of interpreting is that you can pretty much make it whatever you want. If you like flexibility, like to be your own boss, like making a difference in the world, you may be able to find great satisfaction in the interpreting field.